2010 marks the 10th year I have been writing annual report a.k.a. my personal report card. Maybe that is the reason I am finding it so difficult to begin. Perhaps I really should not think too much, and just let the words flow. J
So here goes…
I have been thinking what would be the best way to write this year’s report to encapsulate the essence of 2010 and an idea came to mind! Since this year is year 2010, and it is also the 10th year I have been writing reports, why not make a listing of 10? J
2010 has been an amazingly good year. With God’s grace and unmerited favor, I have made great strides in many areas of my life.
The Happiest 10
1. I am now a published author. I have always loved to write, and have always dreamt of seeing my words in print. I now have two books to my name – an English book and the Chinese version of the book. This is definitely a dream come true. J
2. My blog is the winner of The Most Insightful Blog in the Singapore Blog Award 2010. After keeping a blog for 10 years, of course I secretly harbor the hope that one day, it would become an award-winning blog… and this year, it has! J
3. Nominated for Singapore Women’s Weekly Great Women of Our Time Award 2010. Even though I did not win, it was definitely an honor to sit among some of the most illustrious and inspirational women in Singapore.
4. Celebrating 10 years of courtship and 5 years of marriage with my supportive and loving husband Jamie. I wrote about him and our courtship 10 years ago in my annual report then. Amazingly, we still share an amazing connection after all these years, and we can still talk for hours every day! J
5. After 6 years, Lunch Actually has reached new heights. Many businesses have achieved this milestone in a much shorter time. However, for Jamie and I, the last 6 years have definitely not been easy, and we are proud that we have achieved it with the hard work, dedication and contribution of our team.
6. Losing 10kg. I never thought that this was possible. But I am so proud that I managed to do it. After piling on the pounds after marriage and two pregnancies, I was weighing the heaviest that I have ever been in my life. Thus, it has been very empowering and confidence boosting to lose all those excess weight. I feel lighter and slimmer, and most important of all, healthier!
7. Running one 5.6km and two 10km marathons. For a person who has not run more than 2kms before last December, to have run two 10km marathons this year has not been easy. J It has taken me years, but I am glad that I have finally found the discipline to exercise and stay fit.
8. Discovering my passion for speaking. I started my journey as a Toastmaster in 2001. However, 2010 is the year that I am given the chance to speak and touch lives. Two speeches that stood out for me are the speech that I gave to a group of secondary school student in Singapore and a group of undergrads in Hong Kong. I am extremely honored to be given an opportunity to shape and mould our youth and inspire them to be the best they can be.
9. Seeing Corum grow to a confident little boy. When he was about 2, whenever we bring him to his friends’ birthday parties, he would cling on to us like a koala bear. And if we try to get him to participate, he would cry. It was frustrating as we know that he’s a bubbly kid at home. After a lot of encouragement, he is now more chatty and confident. It is extremely rewarding to see him blossom.
10. Seeing little Cara grow up and go to school. My little princess is growing up fast. She is a quick learner, and she can already say lots of words, and she can count 1-10. She can also hum many songs. I am starting to see a lot of myself in her. The good and the not-so-good. J If she wants something, she absolutely has to have it. And she is not even 2! It is going to be interesting to see her go through ‘Terrible Two’!
2010 has been an absolutely grand year. I finally turn 30, and am officially over the hill! 🙂 I have learnt a lot from the many inspirational people around me. I have made many new friends and got reacquainted with many old friends.
On a sad note, this year, one of my uncles passed away as a result of multiple strokes. This has reminded me how important it is that we spend time with our loved ones before it’s too late. Thus, with my heavier travel schedule this year, I am grateful to be able to spend quality time with my loved ones.
Looking back on 2010, I really thank God for his abundant blessings on my family.
As the curtain falls on 2010 and we step into a brand new year, may we have the wisdom to learn from the highs and lows of the past year, and the confidence to embrace the New Year with renewed faith, hope and vigour…
Happy New Year, my dearest friends! May you find much love, laughter and happiness in year 2011! JShare on Facebook