As V-Day approaches, I thought I will just share with you 13 love songs that have touched me in some way or other.Â This blog post is actually inspired by the first song on the list. Out of the blue, this song just ‘jumped’ into my brainÂ at me while I was sitting at my desk surfing through Facebook.Â
1. How Could An Angel Break My Heart by Toni Braxton: “I wonder if she makes him smile, the way he used to smile at me, I hope she doesn’t make him laugh, because the laugh belongs to me…” I first heard this song when I was doing my A Levels in UK. Imagining myself in this situation, I can almost cry. It’s so poignant… and so heart wrenching.
2. Dreaming of You by Selena: “Late at night when all the world is sleeping, I stay up and think of you, And I wish on a star that somewhere you are, Thinking of me too…” It was the year 1999.Â Was driving a girlfriend home after school.Â We were listening to the radio. And this song was played. I kept saying… I won’t cry, I won’t cry. But I did anyway. Some songs bring back bittersweet memories. AndÂ in the year 1999, this was the song. 🙂Â
3. Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh: “I’ve never seen you looking so gorgeous as you did tonight, I’ve never seen you shine so bright, you were amazing, I’ve never seen so many people want to be there by your side, and when you turned to me and smile, you took my breath away.” I first got to know this song through the Ms USA pageant in the 1990s… yup, you heard right! I was probably 13 or 14 then. They played Lady in Red during the Evening Gown parade. And the girly lass then secretly dreamt that perhaps one day, someone will serenade herÂ with this song… haha!
4. I’ll be There by Club Escape: “Don’t be afraid, oh my love, I’ll be watching you from above, And I’d give all the world tonight, to be with you, Because I’m on your side, And I still care, I may have died, but I’ve gone nowhere, Just think of me, And I’ll be there.”
5. Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle: “She’ll change her name today. She’ll make a promise and I’ll give her away. Standing in the bride-room just staring at her. She asked me what I’m thinking and I said “I’m not sure-I just feel like I’m losing my baby girl. With all that I’ve done wrong I must have done something right to deserve her love every morning and butterfly kisses at night.” They lyrics are just so weet. I love it so much that I chose this song to be played when my daddy walked me down the aisle in 2005.
6. Flying without Wings by Westlife: “Well, for me it’s waking up beside you, To watch the sunrise on your face, To know that I can say I love you, In any given time or place.” Extremely special song. This is the song hubby and I first slow danced to. At the Singapore Students’ Society Dinner & Dance in Manchester where we studied. We were led unwittingly to the dance floor by friends. And when this song came on, he asked me, “Shall we dance?”
7. Wind Beneath my Wings by Bette Midler:Â “You were content to let me shine, that’s your way. You always walk a step behind. So I was the one with all the glory, You were the one with all the strain…” First got to know this song when my best friend sang it at the school assembly for a teacher who was retiring. Thought the lyrics were really meaningful. And at my wedding reception, I sang this song (together with my best friend) for my dearest daddy and mummy were have indeed been the wind beneath my wings.
8. Top of the World by Carpenter: “Something in the wind has learned my name, And its tellin me that things are not the same, In the leaves on the trees and the touch of the breeze, Theres a pleasin sense of happiness for me, There is only one wish on my mind, When this day is through I hope that I will find, That tomorrow will be just the same for you and me, All I need will be mine if you are here.” Such a simple tune. Yet so memorable. And uplifting. I have liked this song as a child. And surprisingly, hubby loves it to. Haha! So this is one of the songs that we sing to our darling babe. 🙂
9. Eternal Flame by The Bangles: “Close your eyes, give me your hand, darling” This is a classic. Brings back memories of my clubbing days. Going out with a group of girlfriends. Dancing on the dance floor. Singing the song out loud. OMG, talking about it now makes me feel so old…! Â
10. Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper: “If you’re lost you can look–and you will find me time after time, if you fall I will catch you–I’ll be waiting time after time.” This song became popular again after the movie ‘Strictly Ballroom’. It brings back memories of my high school days, where we hold parties at friends’ houses. I can still remember one of the exact moments when this song was played on a friend’s stereo. The blushing cheeks, the sweaty palms. As each girl awaits a boy to ask her to dance on the makeshift dancefloor, cleared by the moving of the sofas and coffee tables.
11. Remember Me This Way by Jordan Hill: “I’ll make a wish for you, And hope it will come true, That life would just be kind, To such a gentle mind, If you lose your way, Think back on yesterday, Remember me this way.” When I was about 20, I had no idea how I would grow up to be. I had no idea how life would be in 10 years time. It just seemed appropriate to ask to others to ‘Remember me this way’… 🙂
12. Never Saw Blue Like That Before by Shawn Colvin: “And I never saw blue like that before, Across the sky, Around the world, You’ve given me all you have and more, And no one else has ever shown me how, To see the world the way I see it now, Oh, I, I never saw blue like that.”Â I first heard this song when hubby and I were still dating. And when I heard the lyrics, the first person who came to mind was hubby. He has really opened my eyes up to many things. To see theÂ world in a differentÂ perspective. To look at others in a different light. I incorporated part of the lyrics of this song into my wedding vows. 🙂
13. ä»Šç”Ÿæ³¨å®š by é«˜æ˜Žéª/çŽ‹é¦¨å¹³:”å¦‚æžœçˆ±æƒ…çƒ¦æ¼çœŸçš„å¤ªå¤š, æˆ–è®¸å¿ƒäº‹éƒ½äº¤ç»™æˆ‘, ä¸ºä½ è€½å¿§å¯¹æˆ‘æ¥è¯´ ä¹Ÿæ˜¯å¿«ä¹” English Translation: The title of the song is ‘Destined to Be’. And the lyrics that I have chosen, “If you have lots of worry, just share them with me. Because even worrying for you, to me, it’s happiness.” Erm, that just does not seem to come out right. Haha! Anyway, hubby and I love this song very much. And, he sang it for me at our wedding. 🙂 Many of my girlfriends were touched by his gesture because firstly he does not really sing, and secondly, he does not speak Mandarin…
Based on the songs I have chosen, you have probably (1) guessed my age, (2) come to the conclusion I have not listened to the radio for the past 10 years. Haha! 🙂 Or I probably just love oldies. 🙂
What about you? What are your most memorable love songs?
P/S Have just put up a new poll for ladies… what’s your most ideal V-day present? 🙂 Share, share!
Share on Facebook